Questions about CCG-LINK Dec 2019 (Modified from Oct 2005)
1. What is CCG-LINK?
CCG-LINK@googlegroups.com is Craven Conservation Group (CCG)’s email discussion group
2. What are its aims?
To enable CCG members to share information
3. Can anyone join CCG-LINK?
CCG-LINK is a private group. Judith Allinson is the Owner of the Group (CCG’s Web Editor) .
People can only join if they have been sent a special email by the manager or owner (termed “invited”) or if they have been “directly added” by the manager or owner.
At the moment the principle (in general) is to only invite paid up members of CCG.
Please email if you have strong views either for or against this.
4. How does one join?
Ask Judith (email@example.com) for a special invitation email. An emails will then arrive, from Judith Allinon/C/O Googlegroups inviting you to join. When the email FROM Googlegroups arrives, return it TO Googlegroups.
5. Does one have to join Googlegroups, or get a Google Account in order to receive and send emails?
No, Not at all.
Googlegroups encourages you to join, and then you can find out a tiny bit more information about CCG-LINK and you can join other Googlegroups. But you will save yourself time by not joining. To receive CCG-LINK emails all you have to do is the return the invitation email to Googlegroups.
In fact nowadays most people have a Google Account for one reason or another anyway.
6. How often are messages sent through CCG-LINK?
It has averaged 30 a month over 2017 and 27 a month in 2019
7. Is it possible to find out who else is in CCG-LINK?
If you join Googlegroups you have to give yourself a name or nickname. Once you have joined Googlegroups you can visit the CCG-LINK pages and ask to see who else is in the group. Thus you can read the nicknames or names of the other people who have joined. Some people have given their real names, so you can recognise them. Other people have given nicknames so you cannot recognise those. Also quite a few people in CCG-LINK have not joined Googlegroups at all so there is no name or nickname for them
8. How many members of CCG are in CCG-LINK?
110 as at 6 Nov 2019. In fact this is a slight overestimate as CCG only had a paid membership of c 80 in 2019, plus 27 people who joined in 2018 but still have not paid.
- Some people are down twice because they have given different email in the past.
- Some people have 2 members in their household who have different emails.
- A few people may be lapsed members. I shall go through the list later this year and if this is the case, I plan to email the (ex) members concerned to see if they would like to renew.
9. Do statements on CCG-LINK represent the official view of CCG?
No. When individuals state their views, whether they are members of CCG Planning Committee or not, the views stated are the view of the author of that email, not the view of CCG.
10. Is it safe to give confidential information on CCG-LINK?
No. Whilst people should not copy emails to others without first asking permission of the author, one can never guarantee what will happen to ANY emails once they are out in cyberspace.
11. Why should one bother joining CCG-LINK when Judith sends out emails about 3 times a year to all members of CCG? With news of coming events?
- The emails sent to “Members and Friends of CCG” are very general and non-controversial in nature, and contain a minimum of information. Information can be posted more frequently to CCG-LINK
- You can find out views of other members of CCG. You can publicise ideas yourself, and ask questions.
- You can post pictures - but please make sure they are small in size (<1MB)
12. Is it worth joining CCG-LINK?
Yes. Give it a try for a few months. (You can unsubscribe it at anytime)
If you read a CCG-Link email and press return the message will go to the person who wrote the original email..
If you would like it to go to everyone, press “Return ALL”